Saturday, July 14, 2012

It's Summer- I want to be a kid again!


Okay, this may be totally off the wall, but I have really been thinking about this lately. I have had a hard time getting stuff done and finally figured out that it must be because it is summer. I know I have talked to others that feel the same way, so I know it is not just me. I think it is just "in us" to revert back to childhood and remember how FUN summer was.  

Remember running through the sprinkler, playing dress up, getting to stay up later because it didn't get dark until late and you could play outside AFTER dinner. Summer has always been my favorite time of year. Even when my kids were little, I loved not being on a schedule and having to rush in the mornings to get everyone off to school-although I must say by August I was ready for school to start!

Which brings me to this- I want to be a kid again. Not in the sense that I really want to be 10 again- although there is something to be said for having no responsibility, and not worrying about paying bills, or calling the plumber, or getting your tires rotated, but in the sense that I didn't have many cares back then-at all.  I didn't care what anyone thought if I wanted to wear my tutu to play in the yard that day. I didn't care that my hair looked like crap, and I didn't feel like I needed to put on makeup just to go ....anywhere!  Putting on makeup was FUN back then- fake eyelashes, press on fake fingernails- that was all a treat!

I want to be a kid again- IN MY MIND. I want to play dress up- for fun, wear a tutu, a crazy hat, gigantic false eyelashes or my funky painted tennis shoes and not care what anyone thinks. That is hard to do- we are so programmed to look at people that do that as "crazy" or "eccentric" or "weird". Why is it that we lose our sense of play as we grow up?  Why do we care what other people think- particularly people we don't even know?  Would I go to the grocery store in a tutu- not likely- would I want to- HELL YES!!!!  Just for the fun of it. It would be fun just to laugh at the reactions. Which reminds me, most of us don't laugh as much either as we get older. I am lucky that I do laugh a lot, and married to a pretty funny man- but I mean just laughing at nothing- laughing because you are happy and having fun....simply running through the sprinkler. 

So, I am going to TRY and let my inner child come out to play more- I don't own a tutu- but I just might make one- just to wear at home- so I can laugh at how fun that is- even if no one else knows. Or put on a wig and false eyelashes and pretend I am someone else for the day- I bet she would be a lot of fun!
I am going to wear my funky tennis shoes out in public- I think they are fun and they make me happy- and I really don't care what people think about that- at least it is a first step.


What do you want to do, that would make you happy, make you laugh like you did when you were a kid, if you didn't care what anyone else thought? Tell me in the comments below- maybe we can encourage each other to let our "inner child" come out to play!

Have a great weekend- who knows- the next time you see me here I could be in a tutu!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

So, tell me what you think!!!